I apologize for the clickbait title but I literally picked up a screw in the road while I was on DAY 9 of my health and wellness challenge. I’ve passed this screw every day, and every day the passing thought is, “That’s gonna suck if it gets stuck in someone’s tire.”
Today I stopped to kick it to the side. It was still on the shoulder and I had one of those “aw, fuckit” moments and picked it up, figuring I was going to drop it in someone’s bin for garbage pickup – but there weren’t any.
As I continued with my jog, I could feel the sharp threads and weight of it. “Maybe I’ll toss it when I get to the park.”
Nope. I carried it home with me all the while thinking about this silly screw.
In my vlog, I talk about this screw having a story. At first blush, it seems a little silly but honestly felt more profound. Here’s what I mean.
- It was once shiny and new (kind of like me)
- It was probably used to build something or hold things together (kind of like me)
- It’s rusted and aged (kind of like me)
- It’s broken (kind of like me)
- It’s been rejected and tossed like junk (yup, I’ve been there)
- It’s been kicked around (I’m sorry if I did that to you)
- It’s been picked up and carried (I’ve been there too)
- And now someone is telling a story about it (I can only hope)
Day 9 vlog
This morning I felt a little back strain so I popped a few Advil before heading out.
I like the pace and time it takes to do the 1.5 mile walk/slow jog. There’s no compulsion to extend that to two miles yet.
Finished up my apple cider vinegar drink and my coffee consumption is down to two mugs.
I did feel that 3PM slump but was able to power through it. Actually, I’m still fighting it. I don’t know… I might give in and take a little nap… or sit here and make monster faces to give my neck a workout.
Special shout outs to my friends who tuned in to the livestream.
- Karl Witsman, author & humorist
- Marv Vasconcelos, artist
- Glenn B. Fleming, artist, illustrator, writer, editor
- Steve Ferrebee, ultimate geek
Featured image source: Meredith Loughran